Custom Closet Designers
What You Should Keep in Mind when Choosing a Custom Closet Designer
Full service custom closet companies provide you with beautiful and efficient storage systems for your home. If you have been thinking of having a custom closet system installed, you may have many questions. When you choose a custom closet company, a designer will be sent to your home in order to consult with you about your needs, take measurements and answer your questions. Before your professional closet designer arrives, there are certain questions that you should keep in mind that will help you to determine which closet system and which company is best for your unique needs.
- How long will it take? The consultation is only the first step. From consultation to finished product, you could be looking at anywhere from 3 to 8 weeks for completion. Of course, different companies will offer different turnaround times. The design itself can take from one day to one week to receive. Some may offer same day designs while others may take days or even weeks. Be sure that you ask about the time for designs so that you know what you should expect. If it takes a few days, keep calm. Remember that the designer is working to ensure that you get the perfect custom closet design to fit your space, style and budget needs so it could take a little longer than you may think to get it perfect.
- Who does the installation? Most full service companies offer everything from the initial design to the finished product but some may hire outside installers. You want to know for certain who is going to be in your home doing the installation so be sure to ask your designer.
- What upgrades are available? The actual design of the custom closet is simply for organizational purposes. You also have to consider options like color choices, molding, lighting, shelving, doors, hardware and other aspects. Be sure that you ask your designer what upgrade options are available that will fit into your allowed budget. You may be perfectly happy with a plain design and then again, you may want something outstanding. Find out about style options that will go along with the overall design.
- What type of hardware is available? The hardware in your custom closet system does not mean merely door handles. You also have to consider the hanging rods, brackets and other hardware that will work together to give you the look that you want. Many full service companies offer standard hardware options in one or two colors and upgraded options that may be a bit more elegant and expensive. The typical choices include brass, chrome, brushed chrome and oil rubbed bronze but there could be other options as well. In order to ensure that you get the beautiful closet that you want, you have to know what options are available so be sure to ask about hardware choices.
- What colors are available? Custom closets can come in a wide array of colors and most full service companies offer many different color choices. Wood grains, white and other colors may be available. You will need to ask your designer what specific colors are available for you to choose from and which ones are considered standard as opposed to upgrades. You should be able to get the perfect color to match your existing décor or choose a color that will accent your current scheme.
- What accessories are available? Custom closet designs give you the opportunity to select custom accessories that will make your closet completely unique. Accessories can include built-in drawers, valet rods, slide-out baskets, hampers, belt racks, jewelry organizers and many other options. Ask what options are available so that you can choose the appropriate design to handle all of your organization needs.
- How deep is the shelving? This is an important question. You have to know that there are shelving options to meet your specific needs. Most companies offer between 12 inch and 16 inch depth in close shelving but remember that with custom closets, these numbers could vary greatly. Deeper closets may require shelving that is up to 24 inches deep in order to accommodate hanging clothing. Knowing the shelf depths that you have to work with will help you to determine what you can effectively store in the closet shelves.
- What drawer slides are available? You may not even give your drawer slides another thought but this is something that you should seriously consider. The slides will determine how easy your drawers will pull in and out. Standards will likely vary by company but most full service closet design companies offer a range of drawer slides. Keep in mind that full extensive slides will extend your drawer all of the way out while those with 3/4 inch slides only come 3/4 of the way out. Think about what you need or prefer and find out what specific options are available with the company that you have chosen. If you need specific drawer slides, make sure that the designer you are working with can provide you with those.